Saturday, May 30, 2009

Book Review: Something Blue

Something Blue Something Blue by Emily Giffin

rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a good follow-up to Something Borrowed, but not quite as good. I would like to do 3.5 stars, but Goodreads still doesn't allow for it. So, I rounded down. Usually I round up, but I had given Something Borrowed 4 stars, and didn't feel it was right to give this book the same rating, as I felt it was not at the same level.

For one thing, it was way too predictable. For one, I knew with whom she was going to end up before even reading the book. I also knew she wasn't right in her "instinctive" feelings about her baby's gender. And there were other things I saw coming, too. I didn't get surprised by this book the way I'd gotten surprised by Something Borrowed.

Another thing is I wasn't a fan of Darcy. I hated her in Something Borrowed and wasn't too keen on "hearing" her side of the story. I knew it'd be skewed and totally infuriating. I found myself wanting to slap her. (I'm not fond of having main characters that are not likable.) Although, by the end of the story I was rooting for her.

I will say the birth scene was very touching. I was near tears as I read that part of the birth. Perhaps it reminded me of my own birth stories, or perhaps it's just a mother understanding what another mother feels/thinks. Whatever it is, I had happy tears welling up as I share that experience with Darcy.

Overall, I did like the book, but I'd actually have preferred a sequel that was about Rachel. I loved Rachel, and I'd love to see more from her.

View all my reviews.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...