Friday, August 14, 2009

One Man's Trash

It's that time of year - time for garage/yard sales. I'm impressed by the devotion that some people have to religiously go through the garage/yard-sale circuit. Wake up early, hit the sales as soon as they open, and walk away with great deals. I've never had much luck, so I don't really go to any very often. Plus, honestly, I prefer to be my stuff's first owner. I guess it's the snob in me. LOL

The problem I have with these activities is more the behavior of those attending the garage/yard sales than the sales themselves. I live in a community that has alleys, and almost everyone on the block has their garage back there.

Perhaps you can see where I'm going with this.

If you like to go to garage/yard sales, and you find one in a community that has alleys, please keep the following in mind:
  • Do NOT block the alley. I cannot believe I even have to say that, but you would be surprised by how often it happens!
  • Do NOT park in front of others' garages. Not even if you're only planning to stop in for "a moment." NEVER DO THIS.
  • Do NOT drive fast in the alley. Many of the neighbors likely have children - or pets - who might suddenly appear.
  • DO be mindful of the other residents. You know, the ones who aren't hosting a garage/yard sale. If not for their sakes, do it for the sake of the sale-holder, so they don't piss off their neighbors!
Heck, some of these could be applied to garage/yard sales in non-alley communities, too. Some - what seems to me - simple common courtesy and thoughtfulness is all that's required.

1 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I know -- some people can get downright obnoxious when it comes to going to garage sales. I wish everyone could be kind and courteous. I haven't had one in a couple years because some of the people are so rude and don't follow the rules.

Have a great week!

XOXO
Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...