Friday, April 17, 2009

It's Hump Day Again ...

Well, for me it is! As of now, DH has 15 days until his return. We're smack-dab in the middle of his deployment. Going away last week was the best thing I could've done. It really helped the time fly by. With appointments and soccer practices and school, this week flew by, too. Two weeks from tomorrow, he'll be home. I cannot wait!

I will admit it - this (so far, at least) - seems to be a bit easier than the past times were. Perhaps it's because the kids are older - or because I've had more practice. I dunno. But, it's not a matter of creating a new routine, only of falling into an established alternate routine. I used to be in awe of military wives, who do this regularly. I still am - but now I'm more grateful that I'm NOT a military wife. At least my husband never has to go if he doesn't choose to. As a civilian, he can turn down deployments at any point - heck, he could even leave mid-deployment if he ever needed to. And, at least I know he's safe. He's never going into harm's way. I am grateful for that, too. And, yes, that alone leaves me in awe of military wives, as does the fact that my husband's deployment is much shorter than a typical military deployment.

Anyway, I just wanted to celebrate - it's all downhill from here, right? ;-) These next two weeks cannot pass quickly enough. Although, I do think they will fly by. We have a soccer game - complete with team photos - tomorrow, plus her practices on Mondays and Wednesdays and more games for the next few Saturdays. We have Abby's carnival at school on Friday. Grant has another appointment with the speech therapist. And so on. We'll keep busy, and that's good. It's how I have found it's best to pass the time until DH's return. Once he is back, I wanna just slow down - for a long time!

Well, thanks for bearing with me as I mark what is an important day for me. Now I just pray my adrenaline rush lasts another 15 days - or so!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Your comment about it being an alternate routine and also bringing in the military families made me think of your DH's deployments in a new way. It reminded me of when my dad would be deployed when I was growing up. In our case, the regular routine seemed to be when he was gone, and it would throw a wrench into things when he came back. Of course, that's when I was older - I don't remember the ones from when I was younger (the first time, I was two and he was gone for a year).

ham1299 said...

I am grateful that our normal routine is with him here. But, his return does throw a wrench in things every time. We all have to adjust to him being back - even he does. In the past, his return had come right about when the new routine was in fact a routine. We've done this enough now, though, that the new routine falls into place somewhat easily. I suspect his return will actually be a bit tougher simply because there will be a bigger adjustment to his return. I don't know how military wives - or even single moms - do it. I'm just glad ours is only when we agree to it, and only for 30 days!

heidi said...

Hooray for Hump Day!!! Now, put on some skates and fly down the hill. The bottom will be here before you know it!

ham1299 said...

LOL Thanks, Heidi! It feels like it's going to be FOREVER!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...