Saturday, July 17, 2010

Flashback Friday #1

Flashback FridayI saw this on Larissa's Bookish Life, and decided to play along. My book blog hasn't been around long enough to do it right now, but I thought I'd find something from 16 months ago on here. And, ironically, it's a book review (with spoilers)!
The Gnostic Mystery The Gnostic Mystery by Randy Davila

rating: 2 of 5 stars
This book wasn’t much of a story, but more of a preaching. It’s clear that the author believes what is being preached in this book. There is very little action in the book – most of it is just people explaining why Christianity is a farce. Or at least why some people think that. The characters weren’t very believable. For Jack to be such an intelligent businessman you’d think he’d be a better conversationalist and you’d think he’d not be such a simpleton.

To be honest, this book has instilled a little bit of questioning into my head. I’m a born-again Christian, and won’t take something like this at face value. However, I’m also educated and somewhat interested in possibly doing my own research into this subject. I’m not going to take what one man writes about this and accept it as fact – I don’t care how many sources are cited. Where am I starting? Mere Christianity is my starting point. So, stay tuned to my reviews if you’d like to see the impression I get from that.

One thing I wanted to say about a specific plot point. And that’s about the differences in the disciples from the main Gospels to the Book of Acts. I believe Chloe and Punjeeh called it a “transformation” and as though the Disciples were re-born. Despite the author’s intentions, this does not prove that these are fabricated stories. On the contrary, it shows the change that happens once someone becomes a Christian. There’s a radical transformation, and the individual becomes a new creation. So, despite the author’s best effort to use that to show another reason to believe the New Testament is just a bunch of stories, this actually was a comfort to me. Because that’s what being a Christian is: it’s becoming a new person who (hopefully) bears little resemblance to the original.

While I did NOT like that book, I think it's a well-written review. Enjoy!

3 comments:

larissa511 said...

Thanks so much for joining my new feature =))))

LOL yeah you didnt like the book at all, but it is a well written review =)

I only saw your link today hehe

Have a great week!

ham1299 said...

Thanks, Larissa! :-) It's a great feature! I look forward to more!

Larissa said...

my pleasure =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...