Sunday, May 1, 2011

A to Z Challenge: Reflections


It is Finished

The A to Z challenge for the month of April is over. It actually was a lot of fun, especially since I'd been kinda lax in my posting lately. It was nice to have something to post about just about every day.

Firstly, this fun event was brought to you by several blogs:
I wish I could say it was a huge success for me. It is in that I actually completed it! It is in that I did gain a few more followers, but it's hardly the success I've seen others reporting in their wrap-up posts. (Sure, there's a tiny bit of blog jealousy, but not much.) Of course, part of the issues could simply be related to the fact that I had to basically start this blog over, and lost most of my followers as a result. (Please, come back!)

Anyway, the stats are decent:
  • I have more than doubled my number of followers since starting this challenge. (That would be much more impressive if my numbers weren't in the single digits back then ...)
  • I had 1,548 pageviews for the month. (That is more than half of my total pageviews.)
  • My top post from this challenge for the month was my H post with 37 pageviews. (Most of my top 10 are NOT from this challenge.)
  • My next most-viewed challenge post was my V post with 15 pageviews.
  • After that, it's my R post with 13 pageviews. (And that's it from the top 10 posts in the month of April.)
I had a lot of fun, even if it didn't generate much interest in my blog. I'm OK with that. I blog for fun, and that means the goal was accomplished!

Things I've learned:
  • Plan ahead. I was a late starter to this challenge, as I didn't even find out about it until April 1 or 2. As such, I didn't really have much time to prepare. Next time, I'll do better.
  • Schedule posts. For most of my posts, I wrote them the night before. Often going into it I knew what I was going to post about, but occasionally I didn't. And I think the quality of the posts suffers as a result. Next time I'll write ahead of time and schedule them so they're ready to go.
  • Monitor blog. Of the few posts I did write ahead and schedule, a few didn't post when I had told Blogger to post them. (So not cool, and so not something that would've happened with Wordpress.) Next time I'll be more vigilant in making sure the posts are visible when they should be.
  • Be creative. I saw a lot of posts that were just fabulous. I really liked them a lot. I was impressed, awed even, by the creativity. I vow to be more like that next time around. (Wish me luck!)
Finally, Elizabeth Mueller kindly created this award and gave it to all participants of the A to Z Challenge. THANK YOU, Elizabeth!

If you would like to read more wrap-up posts, there's a linky over at Tossing It Out.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Nice reflections post on the challenge and congratulations to you for receiving double the amount of followers. I wonder that that H post was all about for it to be so popular.
I'll have to check it out :)

You and other bloggers that I've read so far have caused me to consider looking into my page view stats. That is something that I rarely check but now I'm interested, so thanks for the motivation.


The Madlab Post

baygirl32 said...

very nice reflections post!

congrats on finishing

ham1299 said...

Thank you both! :-)

Graywolfie said...

Hi, congrats on finishing this challenge..!
Oh..don't worry about the readers / followers...you have such an interesting blog...I'm sure they will follow you back soon...

ham1299 said...

Thank you, I sure hope you're right! :-)

Arlee Bird said...

From what you've said here I think it sounds like you had a pretty reasonable success. You managed to reach our first goal which was "have fun". Everything else was frosting.

Persist in the way that you are going and I think you will do well. At least you are being observant and should start catching what works and what doesn't so that you can change accordingly.

Thanks for taking the Challenge!


Don't forget to pick up your Winner's Badge at my site.
Lee
Tossing It Out

San said...

Congrats for completing the challenge :)

I'm sorry you had so many issues but I do hope you are on the way to better days AND retrieving those lost followers.

Cheers :)

Tina said...

Congrats on finishing! I think you're smart to keep in mind the purpose of your blog, and if you get more than that, great! Are you up for another challenge? Shannon @ The Warrior Muse and I are joining forces in another challenge. We're going to visit and comment at each of the participants, starting with the reflections post. We hope you'll join us!
Tina @ Life is Good

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...