Friday, April 29, 2011

A to Z Challenge: Y



Y = Yurley

Yurley is the name of one of the children my husband and I sponsor through Compassion International. She is a 6-year-old girl living in poverty in Colombia. I chose her because she's close in age to my oldest daughter and because I felt like she was who God wanted us to sponsor. (We currently sponsor two girls, and plan to add at least one more child to our sponsorship soon.)

I can't remember exactly what it was that compelled me to finally sign up to sponsor these girls. I know God had put it on my heart for a while before I finally acted on it. I think, in part, that my being amother has helped me in the compassion department, and helped me decide that we should be doing what we can to help one (or more) of God's less-fortunate children.

Sponsoring these children has been such a blessing. They are sweet girls, and writing to them is fun. They draw pictures for me all the time, and are quite good artists. I'm proud of Yurley and Emily (the other girl we sponsor), and I hope we are able at some point to meet them. Compassion arranges sponsor trips to the countries their children are in, but they are pricey. But, one day, I believe God will help us – or at least me – to be able to meet these girls face to face, give them hugs, and just love on them.

If you already sponsor a child (or two or more) – whether it's through Compassion or another agency – God bless you! If not, please consider doing so. It's not all that expensive, and makes a huge difference to these precious children.





Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...