Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Blog Journal: Day 8


Today's question: What does romance mean to me?

My answer: I honestly don't know. I haven't given it much thought, really. So, let's see what Webster says ...
1 : to try to influence or curry favor with especially by lavishing personal attention, gifts, or flattery
2 : to carry on a love affair with
There are lots of others totally unrelated to anything I associate with romance, so this is it, I guess.

The first one, well, I think that's the courting/engagement phase. It all but disappears once a couple settles into marriage. At least, that's how the story goes. And, honestly, that's how things have played out. He does occasional grand gestures, but generally they're a thing of the past. Now, honestly, I'd like a bit of the gifts – that's my love language ...

Anyway, the second is definitely true. It can encompass the first, but it's not dependent on the first. It's the things we do every day that show each other that we love each other. It's him making me chai on the weekends, trying to replicate how they make the chai tea lattes at Starbucks or Panera. It's me making sure there's a cold beer waiting in the fridge for him at the end of the day. It's him cleaning up after me when I was SUPER sick, never griping, never giving me crap about it, and to this day being graceful about it. It's me putting a towel in the dryer for a few minutes so he's got a warm towel when he steps out of the shower on a cold day. It's him leaving extra cash for me to find when he goes out of town for work. It's me leaving a lamp on in our bedroom when I go to bed so he doesn't have to come to bed in the dark.

It's all of those things, and so much more. I am very blessed that God gave Mr. Ham to me. I couldn't imagine my life without him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Head on over to Toddler Awesome if you wanna play along and/or read others' blog journals. Tomorrow we share our wedding pictures and/or stories (or your dream wedding if you're single).

Photobucket

3 comments:

Tori said...

How sweet! I love Chai too =) It sounds like you have a great relationship with your man <3 Eight down, about 23 to go!

Loren said...

what a sweet and tender post today! I have a very special man myself! and would agree it truly is the little things that amount to huge displays of love one day at a time!

Bless you my friend ~ hope your honey is home soon!

A Mom After God's Own Heart said...

What a great post! I am now following you after finding you on Blogmania Central. My blog is also part of Blogmania and its going to ROCK! Come by and follow back if you can!

http://therempels4.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...