Tuesday, May 4, 2010

On Comments

Like most other bloggers out there, I LOVE comments. It's great to know that others read my writing, AND have something to say about it. What irks me, though, is those who never, ever respond to – or at least acknowledge – comments on their own blog. I understand it can be time consuming, but readers like to KNOW that their comments have been received by the one to whom they are directed.

Those who do respond or otherwise acknowledge comments seem to have different ways of doing so. Some respond within the post's comments, making it kind of a discussion thread. But, that only actually develops into a discussion if those leaving comments are following that particular "thread" for responses. Then, if it's a high-trafficked post with lots of comments, the inbox can get cluttered by a bunch of updates.

Another response method I've seen more recently is the blog author responds via e-mail. They respond to the e-mail notification of the new comment, which has the e-mail of the comment-leaver as the sent/reply-to address. That's harder to miss – unless, of course, your e-mailed response gets filed into the bulk/junk mail folder. But, this is particularly good for potentially explosive topics where the author doesn't want to start drama.

I'm not sure if there's some other response method out there. If there is, I haven't seen it yet!

I was wondering, what do YOU prefer? I'd like to hear what my readers like. I might even generate a poll for this. For now, please comment with your thoughts.

Thanks!
Photobucket

8 comments:

MrsJenB said...

I like to email people when possible - I know that I don't always remember to revisit a blog where I've left a comment in order to see if there was a response, so I only imagine that others feel the same way. If I can't email I'll visit. Of course many's the time I lose track, as well...

mapsgirl said...

I use Disqus which sends notification to the commenter if someone has commented on their comment. So when I reply to a comment on my blog, that person knows I responded.

I have gotten the email replies as well from other bloggers and that is always nice.

But you're right, if someone doesn't subscribe to the comments then a response from the blogger would be missed. :(

Miel Abeille said...

Thank you for bringing this up. I'm at a loss as to what I should do when someone comments, Hi, I visited you. Do I thank them on my blog & go to their blog to thank them? I genuinely am unsure of the commenting etiquette. Thanks for your input. :)

Susie said...

I go to the blog and comment back. That's the whole give and take. I give you a hit, and you hit me back.

Welcome to SITs! I hope you are enjoying the party:-)

Miel Abeille said...

Thanks, Susie! I think I've been creating more work for myself than necessary.

Steph @ Thoughts From Cali said...

I try to respond to all my comments by leaving a comment on the post. Some times I don't get a chance but I am really trying.

ham1299 said...

Steph ~ That's how I've always done it, too.

MaryAnne said...

I reply within the post if it's something I think might interest other readers. The rest of the time I email back or (if it isn't a comment that "needs" a reply) I make a point of visiting their blog and commenting so they get comment love too =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...